Lampang campus is the third campus of Thammasat University. Located in Lampang, the northern province of Thailand, the campus has offered 4 undergraduate degrees in Interdisciplinary studies of social science, social administration, Industrial Craft and Design, and law; in addition, one Master’s degree in Policy and Welfare Administration.
The Language Institute of Thammasat University is responsible for English courses for up to 500 students from all departments each year. The current teaching courses include:
- English Foundation courses 1,2 and 3 (EL070, EL171, and EL172)
- English for Master’s degree students (TU 005, TU 006)
The teaching team consists of:
- Mr. Chongrak Sitthirak, Language Institute
- Ms. Paradee Aimjirakul, Language Institute
- Asst. Prof. Thirawat Tanthanis, College of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Ms. Sumittra Supaporn, College of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Mrs. Judith Duncan, Activity Coordinator at Self-access Learning Center (SALC)
- Mr. William Gibson, College of Interdisciplinary Studies
English Learning Activities
Not only providing English courses to fulfill the curricular requirement, but the teaching team also has arranged a number of activities to improve students’ English skills outside classroom. Annual activities have been arranged to promote Self-experiential learning and Self-access Learning. Special past activities have included:
- LITU Got Talen Contest (2011)
- LITU-SALC Annual Christmas Party (2011)
- Summer Excursions to Thai Elephant Conservation Center and Lampang Horse Carriage Museum (2012)
- Incorporating Native Speaker Volunteer Activities (2011-2012)
Online photos and comments are available at http://www.facebook.com/litu.lampang
The Major Activities in 2012
In addition to regular activities, the vibrant activities also include:
- TU Olympics (August 2012)
- Thammasat Lampang Welcome Booklet and Website
- Inauguration an “English Day” once a week, in concert with ASEAN and AEC goals for improving English in preparation leading to 2015
Getting to Know Self-Access Learning Center (SALC) at Lampang Campus
By Judith Duncan
Mini – SALC, TU Lampang ( Campus) has been fully operational since June 2011. On September 6, 2011, the Agon Shu Foundation which funded the renovation and furnishing of SALC, cut the ribbon for the official opening. Since then, Mini SALC, serving primarily foundation year students, has been the hub of LITU English activities , promoting and encouraging English in a variety of ways.
Brightly painted walls and modern décor ; inviting conversation corner; mini movie theater; games and puzzles; books, magazines and English Newspapers; computer and audio listening section; meeting room and small stage, present a most attractive invitation for students to supplement their classroom learning. Various themes and current events are imaginatively posted to stimulate students’ participation.
Creative presentations, LITU Christmas Extravaganza, participation in National Speech Competition have all been facilitated by the presence of this additional innovative space. In addition, SALC has hosted over twenty English speaking volunteers, some for a few hours and many with an ongoing weekly commitment. Their presence has been an enthusiastic incentive, motivating and stimulating students’ confidence in practicing conversational English.
Future plans incorporate broadening the contact campus wide, (supporting its use among all faculty and students, ) and creating a focal point for English in all aspects at TU/Lampang. Our mission is especially important in this time leading up to Thailand’s leadership of ASEAN in 2015.